Wednesday, July 23, 2014

FCAV takes on the South


Recap from South Carolina:

Traveling back and forth across the nation the past couple weeks has been an eventful but unforgettable experience! Still trying to recover from that jet-lag… This past week back in the South had to have been one of my favorites of this summer! South Carolina still has a big piece of my heart and will always remain as one of my favorite places, being able to come back to it with a meaningful purpose was really exciting.
We started off the week in Clemson, SC where FCAV all began. Clemson is the school head staff member, Daniel Rich attended as well as many of the other staff members. This was exciting for me because it was right down the road from my previous school, Winthrop, and I got to meet up with a couple of my closet friends.
It was good to catch up with old friends and exploring the South with our FCAV family was a lot of fun. We also had some extra days to go and have some fun while we were there. A visit to my all-time favorite city Charleston, and a couple days at Lake Hartwell and Lake Murray, we definitely got our fix of the awesome southern hospitality that I miss! Shout out to all our awesome host families including Bob and Kaye Miller and Doug and Betty Frasier who opened their home to us.
Monday through Wednesday we put on the biggest event of the year at USC Upstate. For this camp, we had over 32 high school and middle school teams with 350 campers attending. I had the role of being a site director as well as a huddle leader for a Varsity team in Anderson, SC. Being a site director for this camp was a big leadership role for the camp and a little nerve racking at first! The encouragement and affirmation from my other staff and interns made it a very enjoyable experience and made me really appreciate the opportunity I have been blessed with!
The best part of the camp however was being a huddle leader for my team from Anderson Christian. During the three days I spent with them, not only did I get to coach them on the court but I was also able to lead them in their huddle discussions and coach them on the concepts we have been learning out here all summer, teaching them the importance of applying God to volleyball and how it will not only benefit us as athletes but it will carry on to everything we do in life.
For an athlete, a lot of life lessons are gained throughout our time on the court.
If we can learn how to invite God into the success and most importantly the failures we have during this time, it will teach us how to do this in the ups and downs we have in life. Getting the chance to mentor this group of high school girls and being able to share my experiences in volleyball and my spiritual journey in that was really cool and encouraging.
I truly learned the meaning of influence this past week. As athletes, we really do have a strong impact on others especially on younger generations and athletes. Getting the opportunity to be in such a powerful leadership position continues to remind me of the purpose God has planned for me in life. All the hard work, exhaustion, and obstacles we have had to overcome all has a purpose to it. Using the gifts and talents he has blessed me with to lead my self and others closer to Him
For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
Ephesians 2:10

Thanks for reading!
Catherine






No comments:

Post a Comment